Sunday, November 28, 2010

Learning Styles Lab

As my learning continues when my school days are far behind I often wonder how on earth I learned the way I did back in high school. I remember spending 40 minutes copying teacher's notes from an overhead projector in Biology class. All our hands were so sore after each class. I got a D in my high school leaving cert (I don't know what the US equivalent of that is), which is a pass but now I know why I didn't ace it!

I am definitely, 100%, a visual and kinesthetic learner (that's why online learning works for me!). Another course I am doing in Hong Kong University is mostly a listen-to-the-professor-once-a-week class. It is not inspirational and is certainly not an environment I relish or thrive in.
I can read articles just fine but give me videos and give me visuals to spark it up a bit. The lessons at MSU are suiting me just fine at the minute, thank you very much! Throwing in a podcast here and there is definitely workable for me!

I think every educator must always remember the different learning styles they will have in their classroom. Delivery must be varied, exciting and engaging. That's where technology can assist greatly in the teaching aspect. Interactive whiteboards to assist teaching of new concepts where the students can manipulate objects, educational videos to visually support a concept are approaches that can accommodate all learners while obviously listening to the teacher...teach!

If I'm being honest I feel sorry for students today. They spend their waking hours outside of school being stimulated by every technology available in every way imaginable. By sight, sound and touch by computers, HD televisions and iPads. They come into our classrooms and more often than not are met with paper, pencil and flipcharts.

Day 2 - Boringphoto © 2009 Cristiano Betta | more info (via: Wylio)

3 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more! I just started subbing in a high school library. The projects I've seen so far include PowerPoint and posters. Any up-to-date educational technology I've asked them about- they've not heard of. The ET just learned about Google Docs and had never seen a Wordle! I think I've got my work cut out for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are spending a lot of time in my area working with teachers on learning styles. The problem is that many do not want to change. They learn about the technology, but have no desire to change how they teach. Luckily with the Mi pension system encouraging teachers to retire helped ease out many teachers who were unwilling to change. Though I did see some wonderful teachers retire. The extra money was a great incentive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're not going to see any significant change until modules like CEP810 etc. are in the first year of teacher's college.

    ReplyDelete